×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 16757
JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 205
Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi journalist's body parts found. Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi journalist's body parts found. Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi journalist's body parts found.

Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi journalist's body parts found. Featured

Body parts belonging to murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi have been found, according to two Sky sources.

The sources have told Sky News the Saudi dissident had been "cut up" and his face "disfigured".

One source also suggested the writer's remains were discovered in the garden of the Saudi consul general's Istanbul home - located around 500 metres away from the consulate.

It contradicts the explanation being made by Saudi officials that the body was rolled up in a carpet and handed to a local collaborator who was tasked with disposing of the evidence.

Theresa May's spokesman said reports of Mr Khashoggi's body parts being found were "deeply disturbing".

"The location of Mr Khashoggi's body is just one of the questions we need answers to and as such we await the full results of the Turkish investigation," he said.

In a day of fast-moving developments in the case:

:: Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan called Mr Khashoggi's killing a premeditated "murder"

:: Mr Erdogan demanded Saudi officials reveal the whereabouts of Mr Khashoggi's body

:: The dissident's son met Saudi ruler, King Salman and crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, in Riyadh

:: Turkish media said Mr Khashoggi's belongings were found in suitcases in a Saudi consulate car

:: Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he was "deeply concerned" to hear Mr Erdogan call it a premeditated murder

:: The widow of ex-Russian agent Alexander Litvinenko called the death a wake-up call about authoritarian states

:: Mr Trump called it the "worst cover-up ever" as the US revoked visas of 21 Saudi nationals

In a speech to the country's parliament, Turkey's president Erdogan demanded Saudi Arabia hold those responsible to account and asked: "Why has the body of someone who was officially said to be killed not been found yet?"

He did not mention an alleged audio recording that Turkish authorities claim to have of Mr Khashoggi's death that supposedly confirms he was tortured, killed, had his fingers cut off and was dismembered.

Mr Khashoggi was a known critic of the Saudi government and crown prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The Turkish president, who had promised the "naked truth" about the killing, did not mention the crown prince in his speech, though officials linked to the royal have been implicated in it.

Saudi Arabia has said the heir-apparent of the world's top oil exporter was not involved, but any major decision must be signed off by the highest powers within its ruling Al Saud family.

It came as video was released showing a meeting between the journalist's son, Salah Khashoggi, the Gulf kingdom's ruler, King Salman, and crown prince Mohamed bin Salman, at the Yamama Palace in Riyadh.

Mr Khashoggi's brother, Sahel, was also at the meeting at which the king and crown prince expressed their condolences over the Washington Post columnist's death.

A family friend told the AP news agency that Salah Khashoggi had been under a travel ban and barred from leaving the kingdom since last year as a result of his father's criticism of the regime.

Saudi authorities have not confirmed the restrictions.

 

Credit: Sky News

About Author

Related items

  • Two men found dead near Museveni's Kisozi farm

    GOMBA. Residents of Kawuula villages, Kisozi parish in Gomba District were on Tuesday left in panic after two bodies were found near President Museveni's Kisozi farm.

    Mr Yazid Male, the LCII Chairman Kisozi parish, said the deceased; Steven Kasibante, a farmer at Kawuula B cell and his colleague only identified as Kaliisa, a resident of Kawuula A cell, were hacked to death by unknown assailants on their way home from Kawuula Trading Center on Tuesday night.

    "They were killed because the security situation in our area is appalling. Can you imagine that we don't have any single policeman despite the fact that we are near the President's farm in Kisozi!" Mr Male said on Tuesday morning.

    Mr Muhammad Sserwadda, the LC1 chairman of Kawuula B cell, said he learnt of the double murder at about 4.30am after being informed by one of his neighbours.

    "The killers chopped the bodies of the deceased into pieces as if they were chopping goat’s meat. I informed the police but unfortunately, their sniffer dog failed to trace the killers because the scene of the crime was already tampered by crowd," Mr Sserwadda added.

    Mr Robert Kuzara, the Gomba District Police Commander, described the murder as barbaric. He said police were hunting for the suspects to apprehend them for prosecution in courts of law.

    "We are handling the situation and I appeal to the residents to be calm as our offices continue to investigate the case," he said.

    However, residents blamed their leaders and security organs over failure to give them maximum protection. They also blamed this unending insecurity to the influx into their area by unknown people.

    Source: The daily Monitor

  • UNBS starts probing reports of fake eggs on the Ugandan market
     
     The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) is investigating allegations of fake eggs on the Ugandan market.

    UNBS spokesperson Godwin Muhwezi says the bureau has received a report that fake eggs are on the market and investigations have commenced.

    Muhwezi says the bureau will issue a public statement after investigations into allegations that certain dubious individuals based in Kawempe have been manufacturing fake eggs for sale.

    A consumer of eggs on the market will have to rely on basic checks like shaking the egg to ensure they are buying a real egg. This is difficult when the consumer is purchasing a tray of thirty eggs.

    UNBS reports that Uganda produces more eggs than Kenya and Rwanda. Reports of fake eggs on the Ugandan market could adversely affect this burgeoning sector of the informal economy.

     

    Source: Nile Post

  • Locals shun RDC’s security meeting over untamed theft

    BUKEDEA: Aggrieved locals in Bukedea town council on Sunday boycotted a security meeting called by the area RDC over rampant theft cases that have left many people counting losses.

    The security meeting called by RDC Ramazathan Walugembe was geared towards identifying gaps that thieves who have broken into over 10 shops and several homes in the last two months, use.

    Mr Walugembe said he was disappointed by the boycott.

    “The essence of this meeting was to liaise with the people and have police work towards arresting suspects. Now that they have avoided this important meeting, how can we have the matter of insecurity solved?” he asked.

    Mr Walugembe said there is no way theft can be eradicated in Bukedea if the locals don’t cooperate with security agencies.
    The area LC1 Emokori ward, Mr Moses Okurut, said only 28 people attended the meeting out of possibly 1,000 in his ward.

    “Over time, the locals have pointed fingers at the police for not acting accordingly on suspects involved in these robberies. To me, that was the cause of the boycott,” he explained.

    He said two weeks ago, thugs broke into shops in the trading centre and took off with unspecified amounts of money. 
    However, Mr Michael Etiang, one of the locals, said such meetings are of no value.

    “All that is left is mob justice. When a thief is got in action, the solution is to eliminate him/her, and when we do this repeatedly, the numbers will reduce and we will secure our town,” he said.

    Mr Etiang said in most cases, thieves are arrested but released from police custody before appearing in courts of law.

    Source: Daily Monitor

     
Login to post comments