×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 205
JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 16757
Kenyan police discover KShs2bn fake cash at Barclays Bank Kenyan police discover KShs2bn fake cash at Barclays Bank Kenyan police discover KShs2bn fake cash at Barclays Bank

Kenyan police discover KShs2bn fake cash at Barclays Bank Featured

The head of Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) George Kinoti says KShs2 billion in fake US dollars have been found stashed in bank client's safe deposit box.

This is after Flying Squad officers on Tuesday pitched tent at Barclays Bank Kenya, Queensway branch, Nairobi, to investigate a fake currency syndicate that has taken the city by storm.

Accompanied by detectives from the DCI, the officers spent hours at the bank, with reports indicating that a customer had brought in a haul of fake cash.

The hitherto unnamed client is said to have been keeping fake dollars in one of the bank's safes.

The man is said to have been bringing potential investors to the bank to see his 'largesse' and police suspect he was on a mission to defraud the businesspeople.

He was cornered by the officers on Tuesday morning after he came to check on his 'wealth'.

Operations at the bank were temporarily disrupted as the contingent, which arrived in several vehicles, alighted, stormed the banking hall and started searching for the fake bills.

Banks offer clients safe deposit boxes to store vital documents such as title deeds, logbooks, marriage certificates, insurance policies, jewellery, foreign currency, educational certificates among others.

RUIRU HAUL

The investigations come barely a month after officers from the Special Crimes Prevention Unit seized a huge cache of fake currencies, foreign and local, that were hidden in a residential house in Ruiru.

Police told the press the fake currency amounted to KShs32 billion and did not reveal how they reached such a figure.

Ruiru Police Commander James Ng'etich said the money had been stacked in at least 20 metal boxes.

Among the currencies in the boxes were euros, pounds, dollars and Kenyan currency.

Three suspects — a couple and their female business associate — were arrested and charged in court.

About Author

Related items

  • Heavy security deployment at Qualicel as traders close shops
     
     

    Police and military personnel have been deployed in downtown Kampala, after traders at the Qualicel Bus Terminal closed their shops in solidarity with a colleague whose shop was locked up this morning, after he protested a move to have the traders pay rent arrears.

    The traders claim that city tycoon Drake Lubega directed them to pay rent arrears, yet they have been paying rent to Charles Muhangi’s family.

    Traders say they won’t accept to be victims of the wars between Muhangi’s family and Lubega.

    The vice chairman of Qualicel traders, Mr Mboowa said Mr Lubega called a tenants’ meeting on Wednesday to devise means of resolving the standing rift between him and traders, but they were surprised when he closed the shop of their colleague who questioned him during the meeting.

    "We need government to intervene because we're being victimised by landlords. Why do you call a meeting and afterwards victmise people who spoke on our behalf? We're also being cheated through electricity and water bills," Mr Mboowa said.

    Police and army deployed to disperse traders who had blocked Nabugabo Road protesting.

     Source: Daily Monitor

  • Museveni breaks silence on Rujugiro, the businessman at the heart of Rwanda-Uganda stand-off

     

    President Museveni has broken his silence on Mr Tribert Rujugiro Ayabatwa, the businessman at the heart of Rwanda-Uganda stand-off.
    In a letter published by the New Vision, a government owned newspaper, on Tuesday, President Museveni on March 10, 2019 wrote to his Rwandan counterpart Paul Kagame explaining circumstances under which he met the businessman and other Rwandans the Kigali government declared as rebels.

    Rwanda has accused the Ugandan government of harbouring and supporting its dissidents under their umbrella Rwanda National Congress (RNC) and torturing its citizens among others.
    However, Mr Museveni, in the said letter states that he refused to support Rwandan dissidents because the issues they were raising are an “internal matter of Rwanda” and that it is against the stand of the African Union for one country to interfere in the internal affairs of sister countries.

    According to the President, Ms Charlotte Mukankusi approached him accusing the Kagame government of killing her husband before she asked him (Museveni) for support.
    “I told her that we could not support them because what was happening in Rwanda was an internal matter of Rwanda. I explained to her that the stand of the African Union is a scientific one and it is correct. Interfering in the internal affairs of sister countries is wrong because, first of all, outsiders cannot understand situations of sister countries well. They can make mistakes. Secondly, those mutual interferences in one another’s internal affairs will interfere with the bigger normal, non-controversial, State to State activities — trade, transport, etc,” he said.

     

    Below is Museveni’s full letter as published in the New Vision

    Your Excellency Paul Kagame,

    Greetings from the people of Uganda and from myself. I am writing to let you know that by accident, I, at last, had a meeting with a Rwandan who admitted to being a member of the group you told me about — Rwanda National Congress (RNC). This is a lady known as Mukankusi, whom, I am sure you know, but I had never met before.

    One of my National Resistance Movement (NRM) contacts kept telling me that there was a Rwandan lady who had some important information to give me and that she wanted to come with somebody known as Gasana, who also had important information.

    When I heard of Gasana, I thought that it was the Gasana who was behind me at Ntare and who, for a long time, had worked in the foreign affairs ministry of Uganda. When they came a few days ago, I discovered that Gasana was a completely different person. I think I had seen this gentleman once when the delegation of the Security Council had visited Uganda some years ago.

    I then asked them what they wanted to tell me. Mukankusi told me that her husband, Rutagarama, had been killed by the agents of the Rwanda State. She mentioned Nziiza, Munyuza, etc. How had she confirmed this? That she had been told by those very people. I then asked her what she wanted me to do about it because this is an internal matter of Rwanda.

    She said she wanted me to know bad things that were happening in Rwanda. She further told me that she had joined the RNC to resist Your Excellency’s Government and she wanted us to support them.

    I told her that we could not support them because what was happening in Rwanda was an internal matter of Rwanda. I explained to her that the stand of the African Union is a scientific one and it is correct. Interfering in the internal affairs of sister countries is wrong because, first of all, outsiders cannot understand situations of sister countries well.

    They can make mistakes. Secondly, those mutual interferences in one another’s internal affairs will interfere with the bigger normal, non-controversial, State to State activities — trade, transport, etc.

    It is, therefore, correct to only concentrate on bilateral or multilateral issues and never involve oneself in the internal affairs of other countries. She was disappointed with my reply and I told her that I will inform you in writing.

    Gasana, on the other hand, said that he was not involved with the RNC, but that he came to help a white lady, Wolfson, who we had declared persona-non-grata, to come back and continue with her charity work.

    Some of our (people in the) diaspora had worked on it with him. He told me that he works with the Jewish Agency and, apparently, they are the ones who support Wolfson.

    Mr. Rujugiro also came, separately. He seems to be resisting the idea of selling his businesses, which he had accepted (to do) before. He countered the idea of giving money to Kayumba by saying that even if he sells the factories in Uganda, he still has more lucrative factories in Angola, DR Congo, etc., a total of eight of them. He can send money from those.

    He denied sending money to Kayumba or being a politician. He said that he had only supported RPF at the late Rwigyema’s request and your request.

    If, therefore, he is still a problem to Rwanda, the correct option is to use the Courts of Uganda to prove the case of terrorism and then his assets can be frozen. You did not respond to my letter of October 15, 2018, which contained that proposal.

    All these people left Uganda after only a few days. This was to inform you of these encounters. As I told you when we met, there is no question of Uganda supporting anti-Rwanda elements.

    Indeed, I have not heard Rwanda saying that Uganda “supports” these elements. What I heard and what you told me when we met was that some of these elements were “operating” from or “in’’ Uganda to recruit, etc. It is this aspect that the joint teams should work on.

    I invited Ambassador Mugambagye and I linked him with our people and the Minister of Foreign Affairs. This is easy to follow up. What is wrong is for Rwanda agents to try to operate behind the Government of Uganda. I get a lot of stories; but I will never raise them unless I have confirmed them.

    Yoweri Kaguta Museveni President of the Republic of Uganda March 10, 2019

      

    Soruce: Daily Monitor
  • Rwandan students stranded after closure of Kigezi High School

    About 12 Rwandan students were on Friday stranded at Kigezi High School after the school administration decided to close the school until further notice. The school has been closed because the students were intending to strike after they were banned from participating in the forthcoming Copa Coca-cola football competitions in the district.
    While other students were carrying their belongings outside the school's gate that was being manned by the police, the Rwandan students camped at the office of the head master seeking help.
    “We are worried that if we cross to Rwanda, we shall not be allowed to come back because of the recent directive form the government restricting Rwandans from entering Uganda. We need mercy from the school administrators because we still love to study in Uganda,” one of the Rwandan students said on condition of anonymity for fear of being victimised.
    Three weeks ago, the Rwandan government closed its borders with Uganda
    at Cyanika and Gatuna border posts and stopped all its nationals from entering
    Uganda.
    The school head teacher Mr Stephen Mugume and the Kabale District police commander Mr Donald Muhwezi advised them to stay at their relatives' homes because the school was closed for all students until the parents' meeting, that is yet to sit, decides the best way forward.
    About 589 students were on Friday morning sent home after the police foiled their attempted strike which they hatched on Thursday as they protested the decision of their school administration banning them from participating in the 
    football competitions that are scheduled to begin next week.
    The head teacher, Mr Stephen Mugume, said that it was the decision of the board of governors to stop the students from participating in the football competition.
    “The school board of governors meeting chaired by Dr Medard Rugyendo early this week resolved to stop the students from participating from the Copa Coca-cola foot ball competitions because its a costly venture and besides its diverting the students from academics. Its true Kigezi High School is the defending champion for the last years at Copa coca-cola at district and regional level but the academic performance of the students was demoralising as we only got 28
    students in grade one out of 160 students that sat for Uganda Certificate of Education and yet they have been among the academic giants in the region,” Mr Mugume said. He added that last year, as the students returned to the school after they were declared the winners of the football competitions, for Kigezi region, the school bus was pelted with stones and all the glass windows destroyed by unknown people. 
    Mugume said that because of the poor academic performance and 
    concentration on games and sports, the school enrollment has reduced
    from 1,200, three years ago to 589 as of today.

    Source: Daily Monitor

Login to post comments