×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 205
JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 16757
Zuma pulls out of South African graft inquiry Zuma pulls out of South African graft inquiry Zuma pulls out of South African graft inquiry

Zuma pulls out of South African graft inquiry Featured

 

Former South African president Jacob Zuma on Friday withdrew from testifying to an inquiry into corruption under his rule, citing biased treatment and harsh questioning.
In the corruption scandal popularly referred to as "state capture", Zuma is accused of overseeing mass looting of state assets during his nine-year tenure.

"We are here today to say that we will take no further part in these proceedings," Zuma's lawyer Muzi Sikhakhane told the inquiry commission in Johannesburg.
"Our client from the beginning... has been treated as someone who was accused."
An agitated Sikhakhane said the inquiry had become "a political process," drawing loud clapping and cheering from Zuma loyalists in the public seats at the inquiry.

Zuma, who started testifying on Monday, had dismissed all accusations made against him by previous witnesses to the inquiry.
He was due to give a final day of evidence on Friday after the inquiry was adjourned on Wednesday when he complained that the questioning was effectively a court cross-examination.
Zuma was ousted by the ruling ANC party in 2018 and replaced by his deputy, Cyril Ramaphosa, who has vowed to clean up the government.
On the first day of his testimony, Zuma gave a rambling address saying he was the victim of conspiracies and years of "character assassination", and accusing foreign intelligence agencies and spies of working against him.

He also said he had received multiple death threats and attempts on his life.
The former president, 77, later replied to many questions at the inquiry by saying he did not remember or was unaware of meetings and conversations that other witnesses had mentioned.

Possible prosecutions 
Zuma was not legally summonsed to attend the inquiry, but was invited to reply after being implicated in graft by several previous witnesses.
"I expected that he would cooperate, which he did by agreeing to come," said judge Raymond Zondo, who is chairing the inquiry.
"The first purpose was to give him an opportunity to tell his side of his story."

The inquiry is investigating a web of deals involving government officials, the wealthy Gupta business family and state-owned companies.
The Indian-born Gupta brothers -- Ajay, Atul and Rajesh -- have left South Africa and are now based in Dubai.
One witness, former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene testified that Zuma pushed policies on nuclear power and aviation that were designed to benefit the Gupta family.
"Mr Zuma and his legal team are in effect asking to be excused from the application of the rules," the inquiry's lead lawyer Paul Pretorius said.
"If the questions are detailed and if the questions and difficult... so be it.

 
 
 Source: Daily Monitor
 

About Author

Related items

  • Magufuli orders Tanzanian prisons to reduce overcrowding

    Tanzanian President John Magufuli ordered prison authorities Thursday to reduce crowding in the country's jails, saying there were too many people awaiting trial indefinitely who should not be incarcerated.

    Magufuli, who came to power in 2015 as a corruption-fighting "man of the people" but has been criticised for his authoritarian leadership style, gave the order after touring an overcrowded prison this week.

    The experience at Butimba jail in Mwanza region left him "saddened" and demanding answers, he told a rally in the administrative capital Dodoma.

    "This prison, which has a capacity of 900 people, houses 1,000 convicts, and 925 awaiting trial," he said, adding many had been languishing there eight years, their investigations going nowhere.

    "I have ordered the Ministry of Justice and other relevant bodies to visit all prisons, province by province, to listen to the complaints of prisoners and release those who are being held illegally.

    "You elected me to serve everyone. I cannot lead a country in tears."

    As from: Daily Monitor

  • Court issues criminal summons against Besigye, four others

    Mbarara Grade One magistrate has issued criminal summons against former Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) president Dr Kizza Besigye and four others for failing to appear in court for hearing of a case in which they are accused of assaulting a police officer and inciting violence.
    Ms Sanyu Mukasa on Friday said she could not continue with the hearing of the case because both the state attorney and the accused persons were absent.

    ‘’I am unable to proceed; I do not have the state attorney and the accused are not in court. Criminal summons will be issued to the accused to appear on August 9,’’ Ms Mukasa said.
    One of Besigye’s attorney, Ms Lydia Ahimbisibwe said the accused persons who include FDC president Patrick Amuriat Oboi, Secretary for mobilization Ingrid Turinawe Kamateneti, Kawempe south MP Mubaraka Munyagwa and Besigye’s driver Fred Kato did not appear in court because they were attending party meetings. 
    ‘’Your worship I have just been informed by my clients (Besigye and co-accused) that they are attending party meetings and they are unable to come,’’ Ms Ahimbisibwe said.

    They are accused of inciting violence, malicious damage and assault, which charges police claim were committed on November 14, 2017.
    On May 10, 2019, Dr. Besigye denied all the charges before adding that the charges are meant to frustrate dissent voices but vowed to use the same charges to expose the state.

    ‘’We shall continue to expose them as is being done in court but we have never incited anybody. We have never caused violence to anyone. It is the regime that is violent,’’ Dr Besigye said then.

     
     
     
    Source: Daily Monitor
  • Has Museveni’s 10-point plan curbed crime?

    Kampala. In June last year, President Museveni announced a 10-point strategy which he ordered security agencies to execute in order to tame the rising wave of violent crime that hit the country, particularly the capital Kampala and the metropolitan area.
    At that time, several prominent Ugandans had been assassinated by shooting and other citizens kidnapped and murdered in cold blood.

    The security measures included installation of CCTV cameras in urban areas and highways, deploying army and Local Defence Unit personel (LDUs), purging the police of “bean weevils” (wrong elements), electronic number-plating for vehicles/ motorcycles, finger-printing all guns, boda boda wearing hoods, prioritising public intelligence, use of police radio calls, drones and regulating social media.
    These measures, the President said would stop or eliminate the murders, kidnaps, robberies and other violent crimes. 
    However, violent crime has continued to-date, especially in Kampala metropolitan area where many boda boda riders and mobile money agents have been killed.

    Since the year began, the media have reported at last six people killed by shooting or using other deadly weapons in Kampala metropolitan alone. 
    On June 11, gunmen killed Harriet Naluwadde and Moreen Nakabubi, mobile money agents in Zzana area on Entebbe highway and the assailants escaped on motorcycles.
    On May 16, Rafael Walugembe, a university student, was killed by a stray bullet during an attack by armed robbers on city businessman Denis Mwesigwa in Nateete. Mwesigwa was injured and robbed of cash. 
    On July 9, Rebecca Namuganya, 22, a mobile money agent in Kapeeke Village, Nama Sub-county in Mukono District was killed. The killers slit her throat from her rented house.

    In May, three workers of Cheap General Hardware in Nansana Town on Hoima Road were killed during broad day light by masked gunmen who later grabbed more than Shs300m cash. The robbery lasted about 30 minutes without security response.
    On June 30, 2019, Derrick Mulindwa, a boda boda rider was killed with a hammer by two robbers he was carrying as passengers at Kakyeka in Mengo, Rubaga. Police have since arrested one suspect who has confessed to the killing. 
    These cases account for only incidents reported by the media and do not represent the actual crime registered statistics by police, implying the toll could be much higher. 
    This years’s police bi-annual report on armed violence, shows that 41 cases involving use of guns were recorded countrywide between January and June.

    However, the report does not specify crime statistics for Kampala and the metropolitan area to tell whether the aforementioned killings reflect an increase or decline in crime compared to the same period last year. 
    The report shows that 45 guns were involved in the crimes countrywide this year with 26 being AK-47 while another 26 firearms were recovered by security agencies.
    The report says out of every 100,000 people, 612 were victims of crime and Kampala Metropolitan area remained top in crime rates followed by West Nile, Albertine, Elgon, Busoga North, Ssezibwa, Kiira and North West Nile. 
    In his June address last year, Mr Museveni said the installation of CCTV cameras, deployment of LDUs and other listed security measures would constitute a magic combination to eliminate urban crime.

    The Shadow minister for Internal Affairs, Mr Muwanga Kivumbi, said the violent crime is still prevalent despite the security measures because government invests less in intelligence gathering and spends a lot on reactionary means to fight crime.
    “Police is supposed to detect and prevent crime and apprehend suspects. This requires enhanced spying. But how do we invest in CIID (Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Directorate) [when] only Shs200m is for CIID for every district? This is very little. Also, each district gets Shs900,000 for operations,” he said. 
    “If you have five sub-counties, that means each will get Shs150,000 for operations. They are literally immobile. But even the little they have is always wasted in defending the regime,” he said. 
    However, the director of Internal Security Organisation (ISO) , Col Kaka Bagyenda, insisted the killings will be eliminated. “This will soon end,” he said

      

    Soruce: Daily Monitor
Login to post comments