×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 205
JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 16757
Merkel will step down as chancellor in 2021 Merkel will step down as chancellor in 2021 Merkel will step down as chancellor in 2021

Merkel will step down as chancellor in 2021

Angela Merkel will step down as German chancellor when her mandate ends in 2021, a party source told AFP Monday, after a series of political crises and regional vote debacles rocked her fragile coalition.

Often hailed as the world's most powerful woman and Europe's de facto leader, a weakened Merkel has faced growing calls to spell out her succession plans after 13 years in power.

Speaking at a meeting of her centre-right Christian Democratic Union on Monday, a day after a bruising state poll in Hesse, Merkel told top brass that she planned to give up the party leadership, a role she has held for 18 years.

She said she wanted to complete her fourth stint as chancellor but stressed that it would be "her last term", a party source told AFP.

"She was genuinely sad and not at all bitter and asked that the discussion about her succession be conducted in a kind manner," the source said, adding that Merkel's words were greeted with a standing ovation.

Germany's veteran leader had been widely expected to run for reelection as CDU leader at a party congress in December.

Merkel had until now always insisted that the posts of party chief and chancellor in Europe's top economy should be held by the same person.

She is due to give a press conference at 1200 GMT.

AfD gloats

Merkel's power has been on the wane since her fateful 2015 decision to keep Germany's borders open, ultimately allowing in more than one million migrants.

The mass arrivals deeply polarised Germany and are credited with fuelling the rise of the far-right.

Railing against the newcomers, the anti-immigrant AfD is now the biggest opposition party in the Bundestag, and after a strong showing in Hesse on Sunday now has seats in all of Germany's state parliaments.

AfD leader Joerg Meuthen hailed Merkel's eventual departure as "good news".

AKK to take the reins?

Die Welt reporter Robin Alexander said the path could now be clear for Merkel's chosen heir, CDU general secretary Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, to take the reins if no other credible candidate emerges by December.

"The two women have taken back the momentum, because none of their opponents were ready for this," he tweeted.

But other candidates are also waiting in the wings, including ambitious health minister Jens Spahn, a frequent Merkel critic.

Merkel's surprise news comes after the CDU and its junior federal coalition partner the Social Democrats (SPD) suffered heavy losses in an election in the state of Hesse on Sunday.

Just two weeks earlier, Merkel's conservative CSU sister party suffered a similar drubbing in Bavaria.

Both polls were seen as damning verdicts on Merkel's grand left-right coalition in Berlin which has lurched from crisis to crisis, often over the hot-button issue of migration.

'Mistake' to cling to power

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said on Sunday it would be "a mistake" for Merkel to cling to power.

"By passing the baton of her own free will she would show that she knows the same thing everyone knows: the end of her chancellorship is approaching."

Merkel's first step towards the exit door is likely to send ripples across the European Union, where she has served a beacon of stability as bloc grapples with multiple global crises, Brexit and an unpredictable ally in the White House.

While still widely respected abroad, her recent domestic woes have kept Merkel away from the European stage, thwarting French President's Emmanuel Macron's push to reform the eurozone with Merkel by his side.

Despite her global standing, Merkel has no plans to seek a post in the European Commission after bowing out of German politics, the CDU source told AFP, despite speculation to that effect in Brussels.

SPD ultimatum

But the woman dubbed the "eternal chancellor" may not get to choose her own timetable -- and her departure could be hastened if her junior coalition partner brings down the government before 2021.

SPD chief Andrea Nahles said her centre-left party, Germany's oldest, had failed "to break free from the government" and carve out a clear profile of its own after serving in multiple, compromise-laden "grand coalitions".

She said the SPD would now propose a "discussion paper" in Berlin demanding concrete progress on key issues by next October, including pension rights and better childcare, before deciding whether to remain in the coalition.

Increasing numbers of SPD members have been calling for the party to quit the government and lick its wounds in opposition, as it is presently polling below AfD nationwide, at 15 percent to the far-right's 16 percent.

Source: The New Vision

About Author

Related items

  • Two men found dead near Museveni's Kisozi farm

    GOMBA. Residents of Kawuula villages, Kisozi parish in Gomba District were on Tuesday left in panic after two bodies were found near President Museveni's Kisozi farm.

    Mr Yazid Male, the LCII Chairman Kisozi parish, said the deceased; Steven Kasibante, a farmer at Kawuula B cell and his colleague only identified as Kaliisa, a resident of Kawuula A cell, were hacked to death by unknown assailants on their way home from Kawuula Trading Center on Tuesday night.

    "They were killed because the security situation in our area is appalling. Can you imagine that we don't have any single policeman despite the fact that we are near the President's farm in Kisozi!" Mr Male said on Tuesday morning.

    Mr Muhammad Sserwadda, the LC1 chairman of Kawuula B cell, said he learnt of the double murder at about 4.30am after being informed by one of his neighbours.

    "The killers chopped the bodies of the deceased into pieces as if they were chopping goat’s meat. I informed the police but unfortunately, their sniffer dog failed to trace the killers because the scene of the crime was already tampered by crowd," Mr Sserwadda added.

    Mr Robert Kuzara, the Gomba District Police Commander, described the murder as barbaric. He said police were hunting for the suspects to apprehend them for prosecution in courts of law.

    "We are handling the situation and I appeal to the residents to be calm as our offices continue to investigate the case," he said.

    However, residents blamed their leaders and security organs over failure to give them maximum protection. They also blamed this unending insecurity to the influx into their area by unknown people.

    Source: The daily Monitor

  • UNBS starts probing reports of fake eggs on the Ugandan market
     
     The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) is investigating allegations of fake eggs on the Ugandan market.

    UNBS spokesperson Godwin Muhwezi says the bureau has received a report that fake eggs are on the market and investigations have commenced.

    Muhwezi says the bureau will issue a public statement after investigations into allegations that certain dubious individuals based in Kawempe have been manufacturing fake eggs for sale.

    A consumer of eggs on the market will have to rely on basic checks like shaking the egg to ensure they are buying a real egg. This is difficult when the consumer is purchasing a tray of thirty eggs.

    UNBS reports that Uganda produces more eggs than Kenya and Rwanda. Reports of fake eggs on the Ugandan market could adversely affect this burgeoning sector of the informal economy.

     

    Source: Nile Post

  • Locals shun RDC’s security meeting over untamed theft

    BUKEDEA: Aggrieved locals in Bukedea town council on Sunday boycotted a security meeting called by the area RDC over rampant theft cases that have left many people counting losses.

    The security meeting called by RDC Ramazathan Walugembe was geared towards identifying gaps that thieves who have broken into over 10 shops and several homes in the last two months, use.

    Mr Walugembe said he was disappointed by the boycott.

    “The essence of this meeting was to liaise with the people and have police work towards arresting suspects. Now that they have avoided this important meeting, how can we have the matter of insecurity solved?” he asked.

    Mr Walugembe said there is no way theft can be eradicated in Bukedea if the locals don’t cooperate with security agencies.
    The area LC1 Emokori ward, Mr Moses Okurut, said only 28 people attended the meeting out of possibly 1,000 in his ward.

    “Over time, the locals have pointed fingers at the police for not acting accordingly on suspects involved in these robberies. To me, that was the cause of the boycott,” he explained.

    He said two weeks ago, thugs broke into shops in the trading centre and took off with unspecified amounts of money. 
    However, Mr Michael Etiang, one of the locals, said such meetings are of no value.

    “All that is left is mob justice. When a thief is got in action, the solution is to eliminate him/her, and when we do this repeatedly, the numbers will reduce and we will secure our town,” he said.

    Mr Etiang said in most cases, thieves are arrested but released from police custody before appearing in courts of law.

    Source: Daily Monitor

     
Login to post comments